The EU nitrate directive aims to protect water resources classed as vulnerable with 50mg nitrate/l. One of the measures considered to avoid nitrate leaching in the water source is the systematic coverage of soils by a vegetal cover in autumn. This cover will absorb nitrogen from the soil and air, and converts it into organic nitrogen compounds. The cover will then release nitrogen to the next crop (1/3), hereby improving soil structure and protecting it from erosion.
For the most efficient implementation of these cover crops during stubble operation at minimum costs, the Kverneland a-drill has been designed.
Two models are available depending on the seed rate/ha and the output of the machine:
The Kverneland a-drill 200 (200l) is used for rather small seed rates whereas the Kverneland a-drill 500 (500l) is preferred for higher seed rates (25 to 50kg/ha - mix of seeds, grass, etc.). Both models have 8 outlets which will spread the flow of seeds uniformly over the working width. In addition, they can also be used for establishing rape or a mix of different diameters seeds (leguminous plant, crucifers, ...).
The a-drills 200 & 500l can be equipped with two types of fan: electric recommended for small seeds and allowing seed rates of 4 kg/min or hydraulic for rates up to 14 kg/minin.
- Precision and high work output
- Seed rate can be adjusted from the cab, even during work
- Economical crop establishment
- Secure access via loading platform - CE conform - and individually adjusted to the soil preparation implement on which it is mounted
- Two different control boxes (standard and speed regulation)
- Fans adapted to seeds, working speed and width
- Seed metering rotors for all conditions
One response to the Nitrate Directive
The EU nitrate directive aims to protect water resources so-called vulnerable with a rate higher than 50 mg nitrate/l. One of the measures taken into account to avoid leaching, resulting in the generalization of the soil cover in the fall by vegetation cover, which will absorb nitrogen from the soil and air, to convert it into organic nitrogen. The cover crops will then release nitrogen to the next crop (1/3), protect soil against erosion and improve its structure.
Fans adapted to seeds, working speed and width - the a-drill can be equipped with two types of fan:
- An electric fan recommended for small seeds and allowing seed rates of 4 kg/min (for a machine 50 kg/ha - 4m working width at 12 km/h)
- A hydraulic fan (installed systematically on trailed models) for flow rates up to 14 kg/min (100 kg/ha at 12 km/h for a 7m working width)
The a-drills are delivered with two types of rotor: one for small seeds (rape, mustard, cabbage, clover, etc ...), and a medium rotor for seeds (vetch, grass, sunflower, ...). The agitator placed above the rotor ensures a steady stream of seeds. A brush, located at the base of the rotor, will regulate the flow and improve the setting accuracy.
For large seeds (peas, horse beans, etc ...), it is strongly advised to choose the Flex rotor option, which is able of deforming with large seed diameter.
Two control boxes are available:
- Version 1.2 which allows you to control rotor speed, fan speed when electric driven and switch on/off rotor and fan
- Version 5.2 which allows flow speed regulation, ha and hour counter, self-diagnosis, etc ... It can be connected to a radar or 7-pin tractor speed information plug.